Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Exclusive Interview - Tim Healey



Well I hope everyone has got some big festivities in store for this weekend. Seeing as I actually don't have a gig on Halloween this year, we are going to head out to the home of Halloween, Salem MA for our first time which should be a blast. A man who is no stranger to having an awesome time is Brighton native, Tim Healey. Known as the godfather of Electro House and founder of the genre busting dance act Coburn, Tim has worked with artists far and wide like Deekline, Felguk, and Hatiras. With upcoming gigs in countries like Greece, Poland, and Brazil, 2010 continues to be a big year for the founder of two major labels, Giant Pussy Records and his new label already on their 4th release, Surfer Rosa Records. Not to mention he's hard at work in the studio pounding out a new album scheduled to drop early next year. Kick It got to have a few minutes of Mr. Healey's time and he was kind enough to answer our "Kick It Twelve". Look below the interview for links to Tim Healey's pages and tunas.

The Kick It Tweleve - Tim Healey Edition

1. – At what age did you first find yourself gravitating towards electronic music and who were some of the artists outside of Electronic music that influenced that?
As a child I was enthralled by synth bands from the late 70s and early 80s. From Moroder to Bronski Beat, via Depeche Mode and Yazoo, Vangelis, Jarre and the early hip-hop of Grand Master Flash... Between the age of 10 and 14 I played guitar and got really into bands, but I still loved this electronic sound. The first time I thought “that’s really cool club music” was when I heard M/A/R/R/S – Pump up the volume, it turned my love of indie-rock and alternative music on its head and I needed more…

2. – What was your very first Album? How about CD?
Prince Charming – Adam & The Ants, and it was actually an audio cassette (remember them?).

3. – How did you first get involved with the Electronic music culture and what was the first event that you attended?
Wow – I’ve been Djing in clubs for 20 years. I ran a club called UNITY, in Durham City, when I was 18, and used to go to raves in the London area to get inspiration.

4. – Where was your favorite gig that you have had to date?
Impossible to answer. How do you judge such criteria? Biggest? That would be 1million on the beach in Rio. Best location? Burning Man, USA. Best club? Pacha, Sao Paulo. Best vibe on dancefloor? Fusion Festival, Germany. But I reserve the right to change this list every few months.

5. - Who have you been most proud to play alongside?
Probably big rock bands at Fuji Rock and Reading Festivals. In terms of Dj energy, and DJ skills…my good mate Terry from Atomic Hooligan takes some beating.

6. - Where would you most like to play that you have not yet?
The Moon.

7. - What is your favorite tune you have released?
Its always the next single, I believe in them all, or I wouldn’t make so much music.

8. - Who is your favorite EDM artist? How about outside of EDM?
Crikey. I’m currently digging paintings by Ged Quinn. Check them out online.

9. - Who are some artists you would like to collaborate with in the future?
I am working with super cool people all the time. I’ve produced pop acts and remixed great bands… but sure, I’d love the phone to ring and it to be Lady Gaga’s management – “Tim we need you to do her next album…”

10. - What is your preferred software for producing? Hardware?
I use a combination of both, valve/transistor circuitry and software, which is how I have my own sound.

11. - What life lessons has the music industry taught you?
Respect everyone you meet, and don’t let the f*ckers get you down.

12. – What does the future hold for Tim Healey?
More singles this year, incl. "LIVE IT LOVE IT" (watch the video at www.facebook.com/timhealeyofficial), and then there’s my album slated for release in 2011, which goes from Dubstep and Reggaeton to cutting edge Electro. My new web-site: www.timhealey.com launches imminently which is going to be the home of Tim Healey TV and my label Surfer Rosa.

Keep it locked. Blessings. Tim H


 

 
 

 
Tim Healey's Website - http://www.timhealey.com/
 
Tim Healey on Myspace - http://www.myspace.com/djtimhealey
 
Tim Healey on Facebook - www.facebook.com/timhealeyofficial

No comments:

Post a Comment